Friday 4 May 2007

American Breakfast Pancakes

These are those thick, spongy American pancakes that are often eaten with warm maple syrup and crisp fried bacon. I love them with the syrup alone, but if you do want bacon, I think streaky is best: you want a crisp salty ribbon of it here - Nigella Lawson

Leading into the weekend, what more do you need than the perfect easy breakfast/brunch recipe. While I do love pancakes (or waffles) with maple syrup and bacon - there is just something about sweet and salty that I can't get enough of, I usually do these with blueberries or banana (or sometimes strawberries). I can usually get at least 8 pancakes from the recipe - enough for Saturday and Sunday for husby and I, as the mix keeps well overnight in the fridge.

The verdict:
Unusual or substituted ingredients: None - you can't get more straighforward with this recipe - flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, eggs, butter and milk.

Special utensils or cookware: Nigella suggests the easiest way to make these is to bung everything into a blender and blitz. If you don't have a blender, they are easy to mix by hand (well, a spoon, clearly not your actual hand!!) in a bowl. Use a jug to pour into the pan. Nigella likes to use a blini pan. I don't have one of those (I'm not entirely sure what a blini is!!) so I use my smallest frypan, which is pretty much the size of these pancakes.
Repeatability: Oh yes - I have made these quite a number of times - Sunday brunch - perfect!

Sauciness: Not too messy, especially if you use the blender and jug to pour. Can be messy when eaten - all that maple syrup dripping everywhere!
Overall pleasure level: For me, these are a 9 - a simple pleasure, but pleasure all the way